- accomplished, brilliant, dangerous, excellent, exciting, fine, gifted, good, great, outstanding, strong, talented, top, world-class
- one of the country's top tennis players
- The club were forced to sell their star player
- He's a poor player, but he tries very hard
- These boots are for the professional rather than for the average player
- attacking, midfield (both in football)
- handicap, scratch (both in golf)
- basketball, bridge, chess, rugby, snooker, tennis, etc.
- accomplished, gifted, great, outstanding, talented
- bass, horn, keyboard, sax, etc.
- ~ in
- Their firm is a major player in the London property market